Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Cheerleader in my Court

 

This is my grandfather, standing in front of the OOOLLLDD woodburning stove that he heated his house with and cooked his meals on.  He was possibly the most fascinating man I've known.  And an artist.  But that's an insufficient description.  He was brilliant in many ways, and everything he did had a unique, artistic flair.

For most of my life he was a sculptor.  My house, and the houses of the rest of our family, are filled with beautiful pieces that he made.  If you go to the Fine Arts Center in Colorado Springs you'll see a ginormous buffalo that he sculpted.  At a stop-light in Woodland Park there's a landscaped area with two stylized bass clefs that are his.  There's an indian-style bear in front of the swimming pool in Manitou Springs.  He was prolific, to say the least!

And he always cheered my attempts to be creative.  He payed for at least two art classes at Bemis (a small art school in the Springs), and loved when I drew on the blackboard in his shop.

After he died I was delighted to receive a flag pole that he built with an eagle on top.  It's one of my favorite possessions, so of course I had to paint it!


FYI, the photo of Grandpa was taken by my cousin, Barry Hathaway.  He's got the creative gene too.  You can check out his website at barryhathaway.com


No comments:

Post a Comment