Monday, February 14, 2011

Still Learning


I had this beautiful pic of tulips hanging down over their vase, with their stems showing through the glass.  Of course, it had to be painted!  So, I did the good and careful thing, and sketched it first.  Surely that meant that the painting was guaranteed success, right?

Well, not quite.  The name of the painting is "Fourth Time Tulips".  Not "Reds in Glass"....or "Tulips Drooping"....or "Brilliant".  Nope.  It took me four different tries to come up with something I even remotely liked.  Remotely.  There are parts I am really happy with...the stems in the vase.  The reddest of tulips.  The pink one going off the page to the right.

But I hate the top of the painting.  The shadows within the flowers are ok, but I really don't like the lighting up there.  Maybe it should have been darker?  Maybe I was careless with the color?  I don't know why I painted it "portrait" instead of "landscape", like in the sketch!  Oh well.  I have it in a frame that has a square shaped mat, so the top of the painting doesn't show!

No comments:

Post a Comment