Saturday, July 23, 2011

Potter (and I Don't Mean Harry)


This is the one-line birthday card that I sent to my friend Jim.  He's a potter.

Several months ago he invited a couple of us to the pottery to see the whole shebang.  We took our cameras, of course!  My grandma was a potter too, and I was reminded that there's a pretty long, drawn out process that goes into making pots, including two firings (I think), and some trimming, and some glazing...and in the end there is something beautiful and useful.

I'm reminded of the work that God puts into us.  Stretching.  Shaping.  Forming.  Trimming.  It's absolutely necessary that we stay in the Potter's hands for a long while.  Then the firing, which is terribly uncomfortable, but necessary.   All because God is making us into something astounding and useful.

Useful.  For His glory.  Make it so, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment