Thursday, June 9, 2011

What else have I been working on?




These are the preliminary sketches for the next canvases at my church.  The final paintings will be slightly different....color choices will change, the finger tips of the father hugging the son will change...things like that.  As it turns out, I won't be painting the camel, but the sketching of it was great fun!  I'm not going to tell you what parables these go with...if I've done my job well, you'll be able to tell!  I'll be painting these before the month is out.  I'll post pics when I'm done.

It sometimes amazes me how much time goes into the PREP of a painting.  These three have consumed me for weeks now.  I had to get reference photos.  Then I had to get more reference photos because the ones I had weren't quite right.  In some cases I combined several photos to come up with what I wanted.  Sketch one.  Not quite right.  Sketch two.  No, that's bad.  Sketch three.  Wait a minute....this is all wrong and needs to be completely changed!  Sketch four!  You get the idea.

Even with all the angst and re-drawing, I LOVE doing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment