Thursday, June 19, 2014

And a Few Failures.....


This was one of the trees up on top of the crags.  I love the wood part, but I really dislike the needle parts.  I haven't figured out yet what I would do differently.


This was going to be some purple wild daisies, and part way through I decided that I really, really disliked the composition.  So I wiped it off.  I'll paint a solid color over this and reuse the panel.


This was on it's way to success, and I decided I didn't like the leaves in the upper right corner.  So I wiped them off, and now I have to wait for the paint to dry (it's oil) before I can redeem this one.

Deep breath, right?  Failure teaches us, right?  Perseverance is good, right?  Yes, perseverance is good.

4 comments:

  1. I am not a painting artist. I have started handiwork projects and reworked or started over, ripping out rows of knitting, snipping x's in a cross stitch piece and such. I have also watched my children, who paint, start, redo, rework, paint over the canvas and start over. I always marvel at the finished work. I really like the trunks two of your starts. As I look around the room, I notice other paintings I have and it seems I am most impressed with the trunks of trees. The trunks provide strength and are steadfast, They have such character and substance. The leaves and needles finish the tree, make the O2, provide the welcome shade on a hot sunny day, soothe with the rustles the breezes make through them. But it is the trunck that supports it all. Thankyou for sharing these starts. They have drawn me in and set a new tone to my morning, some quiet moments of respite before the craziess of the rest of the day. sibbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sibbi, you and I are thinking along the same lines....I've been sort of enamored with roots lately...gnarly, above ground, yet holding up huge trees. Surely there are roots that go down deep to the water as well! Sort of poignant.

      Delete
  2. Deep breath here too. Pressing past some icky failures. Thanks for the beautifully painted words of wisdom, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Teri...it's hard to embrace failure as a beautiful teaching tool. I want to pout like a 3 year old. But then I never, never learn.

      Delete