Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Sometimes It's Just Plain Work



Two sketches.  Trying to figure out the layout of a piece I was working on.  I never actually used either of these, and so they hang out in my file.

For most of my life I thought that as an artist you just picked up a pencil, or a paintbrush, and started creating.  And then after a short period of time ... "voila!"... you had a lovely finished  piece.  Boy, was I wrong!!  It never ceases to amaze me how much time I spend in prep-work.  Sketching, and re-sketching, and searching for reference materials, and changing my mind, and sketching some more.  Add to that making mistakes and having to start over!!

That bit about "changing my mind"... that's the problematic part!!  I'm guessing the Lord didn't wrangle over creating like I wrangle over a painting!  Yes, He called it work.  And yes, He rested when He was done.  But I'm guessing He didn't have any self-doubt in the mix!  And I'm very thankful for that!  There's no fussing and second-guessing in my God!

1 comment: