Tuesday, January 20, 2015

So Teach Us To Number Our Days


This started out as a request for a crow.  Actually, let me back that up:  it started out as a request for an owl.  "Why an owl?"  Because the recipient loves them because they're so smart.  They also love crows.  I'd much rather paint a crow!

But wait.... that sketch is of a raven.  Or is it?  I went hunting, and frankly, I'm still not sure.  But in the process I found an image that I like better!


Along with this, there will be a verse (done in calligraphy by my sister-in-law) from Psalm 90.  "So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Funny how the details of life play themselves out (ahem.... insert here a grateful bowing to the sovereignty of God!):  I've loved that verse for years!

What better way to ponder the passing of our days, than to have this so-wise bird perched on a clock face?


The finished painting, leaving space for the calligraphy on the left.  I haven't worked with watercolors in YEARS.  It was definitely a challenge!  You HAVE to wait for the previous layers to dry!  I was reminded of that the hard way.  This thing got painted twice, partially for that reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment