Saturday, October 1, 2011

God, the Multiplier

I painted this for a friend a year ago.  She gave me the quote but gave me freedom over the image.  I wanted to paint the idea of God multiplying our small obediences.  My first thought was to paint a purple thistle.  You get just ONE of those that goes to seed, and the following year you'll have a yard-full!  And the thistle itself is pretty beautiful...all rich purple.  I even went for a drive and got a bunch of reference photos.

But as I was standing in front of my easel, I discovered that I couldn't bring myself to paint a weed for this friend!!  So I went hunting for a different idea, and landed on scrub oak instead.  They're magnificent in the fall, and they really can take over a hillside.

One step of obedience to God, and He goes to work and multiplies it.  I love the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment