Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Many Faces of Pikes Peak




Not long ago a dear friend told me that she wanted me to paint Pikes Peak for the foyer of her office building.  But what view?  And then, what season?  We puzzled over that one for a long time.  And then we had a brain wave... instead of one painting, let's do three.  Each one a different view, and each one a different season.

They're all pretty big.  Fall is 3' x 4', spring/summer is 5' x 2', and winter is 3' x 3'.  My painting space in my house is small, so I ended up painting these in my garage, which was an adventure (because I had to figure out the right lighting, and then what do you do when a car drives by on the dirt road and dust is flying all around your wet paint?).

My wonderful husband hung them all for me, which also proved to be an adventure (because he discovered that the walls in the office foyer weren't quite true... there was an odd hump that we had to overcome).

All in all, though, the end result was lovely.  I got a picture of them all hanging, but it just doesn't translate well... they look puny!  Untrue!  For those of you who live in Woodland Park, Colorado, just go visit the Coldwell Banker building and you'll see these hanging right inside the front door.

(psst!  You can click on the pics if you want to see a bigger version!)

No comments:

Post a Comment